Monday 20 August 2012

WEEK 22

Monday, 20 August: 
Amazing but very challenging class.  Made more so by the August mugginess, but it flowed so beautifully that I soon forgot the Monday evening tiredness - and the sweat gathering on my brow.  Longer than usual meditation, then a standing warm up: circling feet, hips and neck.  Think I prefer warming up on the floor but good for a change and it led into a pranayama in which the the three bandhas are engaged after an exhale (cannot for the life of me remember the name but I have come across some more interesting yoga sites in trying to find out see:

http://www.yoga-age.com/asanas/bandhas.html#utilizing

http://www.staryoga.com/traditional-breathing-techniques

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/

but more anon).  As we started talking about the bandhas in my class during the week, I wonder if I can introduce a simplified version to help my students discover their bandhas.  Will trial it tomorrow.

Back to the practice and the lovely sequences.  Here are a few that I want to practise again:


  • Surya Namaskar A x 3.
  • S.N.A variation: stepping back into a high lunge, twist with extended arms and lower to a low reverse parvottanasana in prayer. 
  • High lunge to Vira III to reverse Ardha Chandrasana. 
  • MC_208_UrdhvaPrasaritaEkaPadasana_70.jpgUrdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (Standing Split)

     sweeping into Utthita Hasta Padagusthasana, then taking the extended foot into Natarajasana (dancer) and back to Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana

    WildThing_70.jpg
  • AMS to Camatkarasana (wild thing) back to a low lunge, walking with hands to face the opposite side and repeat.  Many, many times.  (definitely trying this on my class!)

    HP_214_Astavakrasana_70.jpg
  • From sitting, one leg lifted on to the shoulder and worked straight into heron pose - Krounchasana.  Then moving into Astavakrasana (8-angle pose).  Here is what it's meant to look like.  I got very very nearly there and fell flat on my face!




Tired but exhilarated!


No comments:

Post a Comment